BROOMFIELD PARK MEDICAL CENTRE
ANNUAL INFECTION CONTROL STATEMENT
The practice is committed to the control of infection within the building and in relation to the clinical procedures carried out within it. This statement has been produced in line with the Health and Social Care Act 2008 and details the practice’s compliance with guidelines on infection control and cleanliness between the dates of 1st October 2015 and 30th September 2016.
The author of this statement is Jane Moxon.
Infection Control Lead
The practice’s clinical lead for infection control is Marie White, Nurse Practitioner.
The practice’s non-clinical lead for infection control is Jane Moxon, Practice Manager.
The infection control lead has the following duties and responsibilities within the practice:
- Awareness of national standards and good practice guidelines for infection control
- Responsible for practice infection control policies and procedure
- Responsible for overseeing practice infection control training
- Oversees safe storage and stock control of drugs, medication and dressings
- Instigates and carries out regular infection control audits
- Responsible overall for hand hygiene
- Responsible overall for PPE (Personal Protective Equipment)
- Monitoring practice facilities and equipment to ensure a good clean working environment
- Responsible for the correct and safe practice process of dealing with specimens
- Identifying infection control risks involved relating to changing policies both within and outside the practice
Significant Events related to Infection Control
There have been no significant event/meetings relating to infection control at the practice between the dates of 1st October 2015 and 30th September 2016.
Details of Outbreak
There have been no outbreaks of diseases at the practice in the above period.
Audits relating to Infection Control
The following two audits have been carried out during the above period relating to Infection Control :
Examples of improvements made following the above audtis:
- Cloth chairs in consulting rooms replaced with vinyl
- Cloth curtains being replaced with disposable, completion 31st December 2016
- Introduction of Sanicloths for improved sterile cleaning of surfaces
- New desks
- Completion of hard floors in all consulting rooms
- Moisturising lotion provided
- Apron dispensers provided to more rooms
- Each audit consists of an action plan of improvements/repairs which are on going during the year depending upon priority
Audits relating to Surgical Procedures
Regular cyclical audits are carried out by the practice and results are compared year on year to seek out improvements. The following clinical audits were carried out during the above period:
- Minor operations
- Nexplannon removals
- IUD (Inter Uterine Device)
As a result of these audits there were no concerns relating to infection control.
Risk Assessments relating to Infection Control
The following risk assessments relating to Infection Control have been undertaken at the practice during the above period, and the following recommendations and/or actions plans were produced in response to the findings:
- Legionnaires disease – unused taps/shower to be flushed on a minimum twice weekly basis
- Clinical curtains – cloth to be replaced with disposable (completion 31st December 2016)
- Clinical curtains – to be replaced six monthly in surgical areas and twelve monthly in non-surgical areas (except for spillage)
Practice Policies, Procedures and Guidance relating to Infection Control
The practice maintains the upkeep of the following policies, procedures and guidance related to infection control. These policies, procedures and guidance are reviewed and updated annually as well as being amended on an on-going basis to keep up with changes in regulation etc.
NAME Date Updated
Cleaning and decontamination of surfaces July 2016
Clinical waste management November 2015
Disposable instruments July 2016
Handwashing and hygiene August 2016
Infection control April 2016
Laundering of uniforms May 2016
Personal protective equipment August 2016
Sample handling August 2016
Minor surgery February 2016
Training relating to Infection Control
The following staff members have received instruction, information or training relating to Infection Prevention and Control during the above period:
Kirsty Darling (attended infection control training in her previous role)
The reception team attended training on 14th September 2016.
A further training session has been organised for 18th October 2016 and appropriate staff will attend: